Do you feel sluggish and tired through the day but just can’t shake it off? Or are you feeling bloated and heavy?
There are times when we need to reset and recharge because we have not been eating clean – perhaps it’s been busy at work or with the children, or when eating more meals out than at home.
Did you know that we are constantly exposed to toxins all around us? These toxins can affect our energy and digestion but we can minimise our exposure by doing a detox. There are many different ways of detoxifying, the one I recommend my clients do is to eliminate the inflammatory foods and have nutrient rich foods for one or two weeks. However I understand that at this time of the year it can be difficult to do a full detox, but you can easily do a simple one-day detox at home as shared below.
- Spend 5 – 10 minutes meditating or do some breathing exercises in the morning.
- Start the day with one/two glasses of warm water with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Have a smoothie for breakfast, which is not made just with fruits, as it will be high in sugar. Make a cool refreshing smoothie with 1½ cups of coconut water, handful of baby spinach, 1 cup of berries, 2 tablespoons rolled oats, 1-teaspoon chia seeds and some water or ice. This will serve two.
- For your morning snack (if you need one) have a piece of fruit and small handful of raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- Prepare a satisfying salad for lunch that includes summer vegetables like rocket leaves, tomatoes, peppers, etc and add in your favorite protein and some grains.
- Sip infused water through the day to hydrate you. You can use herbs, spices, fruits and vegetables to give different flavors like cucumber, lemon or orange slices or fennel seeds or mint leaves.
- If possible avoid foods with added sugar during your one-day detox. If this is difficult, reduce your sugar intake, e.g. from 1 teaspoon to ½ teaspoon. Also do read the labels for healthy snacks like granola bars since these can be high in sugar.
- Stay active through the day. The lymphatic system does not have a pump like the heart so by walking and doing exercise you support it flowing by providing muscle movement.
- Have a light dinner. Instead of red meat have chicken or fish with sautéed vegetables and if you are vegetarian have a large portion of stir-fried vegetables with tofu, adding a whole grain.
- Sleep is important too, so go to bed early, doing a digital detox, and switch off the devices few hours before bed.
If you enjoyed and benefited from this one-day detox why not do it weekly and over time your body will thank you for it.
Sujata offers health and wellness coaching at Chelsea. To view her schedule and prices, please click here.