about equipment Pilates
Q. Is equipment Pilates right for me?
Equipment / reformer Pilates is for everyone, whatever your age, body shape or fitness level. It’s particularly beneficial for people new to Pilates, recovering from injuries, athletes and performers as well as for the elderly. Specially developed equipment is used to help you move more efficiently and freely in everything you do – from training for a marathon, to practising yoga or simply keeping up with the kids.
Q. What are the benefits?
Not only does equipment Pilates help improve overall strength, fitness and flexibility, it can aid in the prevention of injury and improve posture and overall muscle balance in the body. Equipment classes are tailored to the individual’s needs and objectives and therefore more likely to vary from week to week. Studio classes in our equipment studio in Camden are taught either one-to-one or in small groups of up to four people, so there is more individual attention compared with mat classes.view the full list of equipment Pilates benefits.
Q. What does the equipment do?
All Pilates equipment uses spring loaded resistance to either support or challenge the body whilst performing a given exercise. With hundreds of exercises and variations available, as well as a variety of springs and possible adjustments to the machines, the teacher can best adapt the work to suit the student’s body and their needs.
Q. Is equipment Pilates the same as reformer Pilates?
Our traditional studio apparatus includes the reformer but also the Cadillac (trapeze table), the Wunda chair and the Ladder Barrel. Many studios and gyms now offer reformer classes where a group of 8-20 students follow the same fitness routine on a reformer for a 60-minute class. A traditional Pilates studio like our studio in triyoga Camden, however, has all of the equipment. Teachers are therefore able to direct a variety of exercises using all of the large equipment, as well as smaller equipment and props. Our classes are much more tailored to the individual’s needs than a reformer-only class and, therefore, more likely to vary from week to week. Furthermore, we only teach a maximum of 4 people in a group so teachers are able to provide much more individual attention to the students that in a large reformer-only class.
Q. How many people are in a class?
You can choose from private one-to-one sessions, semi private sessions (with two people) or group sessions (up to four people). All session types are personalised and will allow for plenty of individual attention from your instructor.
- Private sessions (£70 per class) – last 60 minutes. If you’re new to equipment Pilates or haven’t exercised in a while, private sessions give you the opportunity to work with one of our expert teachers at your own pace and level to become familiar with the equipment and comfortable with the exercises and techniques.
- Semi private sessions (£45 per class) – last 60 minutes. There are a maximum of two students per instructor at any time. You receive almost all the benefits of a private class but at a lower price.
- Group sessions (£35 per class) – last 75 minutes. There are a maximum of 4 students in each session. You work on you own programme within a group environment, whilst still receiving a high level of individual teacher attention and care.
Q. How much does it cost?
We offer a range of pricing options to suit everyone, from single class passes to great value multi-class packages offering significant savings. View all equipment Pilates pricing options here.
Q. How do I get started?
Take a look at our class schedule and find a class time to suit you.
Whether you are a complete beginner or an advanced practitioner, we request that you start with 60 minute one-on-one Starter Assessment. This session is to ensure that you are exercising safely; that you maximise your results from each session with us, and ultimately enjoy the whole experience even more! The session includes a medical questionnaire and a postural assessment followed by a tailored programme to facilitate your progress.
new to equipment Pilates?
the benefits of equipment Pilates
- Improves posture and mobility, including flexibility of the spine
- Improves overall muscle balance in the body and creates a long and lean muscle tone
- Improves stability and alignment of the major joints in motion, reducing occurrences of injuries
- Promotes a more efficient and supportive core
- Encourages efficiency of movement and improves performance of day to day movement and sports
- Improves the function of the lungs and circulation
- Complements training for athletes and performers
- Builds better balance and coordination
- Helps maintain and can improve bone density
- Offers a safe and excellent form of exercise for seniors, pre + postnatal women and for a wide range of medical conditions
- Stress reduction and detoxification
- Restores physical vitality
- Focuses on movement and breath, encouraging meditative states
- Circulates the blood, improving cell function
- Charges the blood with oxygen and purges waste gases through proper breathing
- Improves neuromuscular control, which creates more balanced strength throughout the body
- Increases movement awareness, resulting in safer use of the body and fewer injuries
- Better alignment, posture and more efficient use of the body