Reflexology is based on the principal that the body is mapped onto the feet, hands and ears and that working specific pressure points brings about change in the corresponding organs, glands or structures of the body. It is thought to help the free flow of energy around the body by improving the circulation and stimulating the organs of elimination. This is believed to bring the body back to a state of equilibrium, thereby promoting the body’s natural healing power. This week is World Reflexology Week and to mark the occasion we’ve put together a list of facts about this deeply healing treatment.
Did you know…
– There are 52 bones and 66 joints in the feet – that’s a quarter of the body’s bones.
– There are 250,000 sweat glands, 200+ muscles, ligaments and tendons in the feet.
– We walk about 8,000 – 10,000 steps every day.
– Each reflex point in the feet mirror each bodily organ. When worked on they can be stimulated or sedated, helping the body to re-balance its vital essence.
– Reflexology is a great stress buster, leaving you walking on clouds!
Reflexology currently available at triyoga with Belinda Freeman, Gemma Clare, Naomi Sato, Hue Lan Tracy Chau and other.