yoga for cancer teacher training
with Vicky Fox
6 – 9 january 2020
This 40 hour training accredited by Yoga Alliance Professionals will give you the tools to create a safe and healing environment to teach yoga and relaxation to anyone diagnosed with cancer. This would also be applicable to working with anyone with long term health conditions.
Each day will begin with a practice suitable for anyone diagnosed with cancer so that you have the opportunity to experience 4 different classes and the adaptations that might be necessary. There will be opportunity after each practice to discuss the focus of each class. Each practice will include the use of mudras and pranayama.
Course topics will include:
- Cultivating a safe space, how to hold that space, to listen and be compassionate in a yoga studio when working with fear, anxiety and possibly pain. To reassure people who may have found themselves in a world filled with tests and procedures. How you as a teacher can make the yoga studio a welcoming place that is accessible to a very wide range of experiences, abilities and quality of health.
- Understanding cancer terminology. Diagnosis and grading of cancer. Treatment for breast cancer and implications of reconstructive surgery. Lymphoedema and cording and how to adapt the class to allow people to increase range of motion and build strength slowly and in a safe way. How your class can minimise muscle atrophy and keep blood and lymph circulating to help promote well being.
- A-Z of Side effects and using your skills as a yoga teacher or therapist to adapt classes so that the class is accessible and inclusive to all.
- Exploring the concept that we are not just a physical body. How we are multidimensional beings of mind, body and spirit that are connected. Our bodies are made up of different layers or koshas that are constantly changing. We will explore how to fully let go and how we need to relax each layer from the outer to the inner layers for us to allow healing to take place.
- Chair classes how to modify to include those who may need to remain seated. Considering what your students may need most to feel empowered but also taking into account practices that support the changes occuring such as bone density, menopausal symptoms or Secondary cancer.
- The role of Yoga Nidra, guided relaxation and meditation. Use of language that is validating and supportive.
Day 1: Overview of cancer terminology and diagnosis. How to create a safe and healing environment. Understanding stress, fear and anxiety and the impact of living with cancer.
Day 2: Treatment for cancer. Breast cancer treatment and reconstruction and its implications. Modifying the practice.
Day 3: Chair practice. Secondary cancer and palliative care. Osteoporosis.
Day 4: Koshas a multidimensional approach to healing. Meditation, Yoga Nidra, guided relaxation and understanding mudras and mantras.
6th January: 09.00 – 13.00 + 14.00 – 17.00
7th January: 09.00 – 13.00 + 14.00 – 17.00
8th January: 09.00 – 13.00 + 14.00 – 17.00
9th January: 09.00 – 13.00 + 14.00 – 17.00
eligibility + pre-requisites
This training is open to all qualified or accredited teachers of yoga who have at least two years teaching experience or therapists with a committed yoga practice. Prior to attending the course all students need to read an account of having cancer from the reading list and questions provided and fill out a report on the book. There will also be post course work which must be completed that will include class plans, and reading Making Friends with Death – A buddhist guide to encountering mortality by Judith L Lief and completing an assignment on this book.
40 hour training accredited by Yoga Alliance Professionals
Dates: 6 – 9 january 2020
Tutor: Vicky Fox
020 7449 3151